The school is a State Co-educational Selective Grammar School. The school is an Academy Trust School and therefore responsible for setting its own admission arrangements and, in common with state schools throughout the country, the school is part of a Co-ordinated Local Admission scheme.
CONSULTATION ON ADMISSION ARRANGEMENTS FOR 2017 ENTRY
The consultation on the Admissions Policy for entry in September 2017, as required by Section 1.43 of the current School Admissions Code, closed on 29 January 2016.
The proposed Admissions Policy which will be determined by Governors by 28 February 2016, after taking into account the responses to the consultation, can be found here.
Associated school policies
Admission Arrangements for 2016 entry
Admission Arrangements 2015 (for reference only)
Admission Arrangements 2014 (for reference only)
BACKGROUND FOR ADMISSION
All school preferences expressed by parents must be given equal consideration.
Although there are minor variations in practice across the country, each Local Authority Area shares the following common features:
- A single Common Application Form (CAF) covers application to all state secondary schools
- Parents can express at least three school preferences
- A child will receive only one offer of a school place
ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS FOR ENTRY TO COLYTON GRAMMAR SCHOOL
Colyton Grammar School is a Selective Co-educational Academy, responsible for its testing arrangements and admission criteria.
Any applicant achieving an eligible score is considered for entry. There may be more children with eligible scores than places available.
Applicants achieving eligible scores will be ranked on the basis of performance in the entrance tests and places allocated by Devon Local Authority (LA). Those who have a statement of special needs (Education Health and Care Plan) naming the school and with an eligible score will be allocated a place.
The School has a published admission number of 124 students in Year 7.
The Academy Trust will prioritise applicants using the following oversubscription criteria:
- Children with a statement of special needs (Education Health and Care Plan) naming the school and with an eligible score will be allocated a place.
- Children in Care, or who ceased to be in Care because they were adopted or made the subject of a residence order, or made the subject of a special guardianship order, on the eligible list
- Children on the eligible list who are from families entitled to claim free school meals at the time of the test. (Documentary evidence that the parent is in receipt of the appropriate support payment entitling the child to free school meals will be required.)
- Rank order based on the total score achieved in the tests of students on the eligible list.
- In an event of a tied ranking for the last available place, proximity to the school as measured by a straight line from the main school entrance to the house address of the applicant. It will be measured in a straight line from the home address to the front gate of the school using Ordnance Survey Maps.
The eligible score will vary annually such that the total number of eligible children is approximately 135.
Children in Care
Children who are looked after by or provided with accommodation in the exercise of its function by Devon Local Authority or any other Local Authority which has informed Devon of its wish to place a child.